William J. Scott, Jr., joined Momkus LLC as the partner to lead the firm’s Family Law Practice Group. He concentrates his practice in complex and sophisticated family law, dissolution of marriage, paternity, pre-marital agreements, pre and post judgment issues and litigation.
Mr. Scott was educated in the Wheaton school system and is a lifelong resident of Wheaton and Glen Ellyn. He is a 1970 graduate of Saint Louis University in Saint Louis, Missouri and a 1973 graduate of the DePaul University College of Law.
Mr. Scott has represented clients in the trial courts of Illinois, as well as in the First, Second and Third Appellate Court Districts, and has additionally argued before the Illinois Supreme Court. He has been involved in the drafting and preparation of legislation and has testified before committees of the Illinois Legislature and the Illinois Supreme Court. He was involved in the drafting and passage of the legislation permitting the entry of Qualified Domestic Relations Orders resolving the division of Illinois State pension benefits between spouses in Illinois.
Mr. Scott has chaired the Family Law and Practice Committee of the DuPage County Bar Association on several occasions as well as the Entertainment and Judiciary Committees. He has served on the General Assembly of the Illinois State Bar Association and currently serves on the Illinois State Bar Association’s Family Law Section Council which he chaired from 2012-2013..
Mr. Scott is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association and the DuPage County Bar Association, where he served as President from 1990 through 1991. He has been a Fellow of the prestigious American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since 1994, and served as the President of the Illinois Chapter from 2002 to 2004. He serves as the Illinois Chapter Delegate to the National Board of Governors of the Academy, a position he has held since 2009. He has written numerous articles for the DuPage County Bar Brief and other publications. He is a frequent lecturer and presenter at educational seminars and has spoken before the Illinois State Bar Association, the DuPage County Bar Association, the Illinois Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, the Northwest Suburban CPA Association, and other groups.
Mr. Scott is a recipient of the DuPage County Bar Association’s Board of Directors’ Award.
- Supreme Court of Illinois, October 1973
- Northern District of Illinois, December 1973
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, January 1981
- DePaul University College of Law, June 1973
- Saint Louis University, June 1970
Professional Associations and Memberships
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Member, 1973-present
- President, 1989-1991
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, 1973-present
- Chair Family Law Section Council, 2012-2013
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Fellow 1994-present; President, Illinois Chapter 2001-2004
- National Board of Governors
- Delegate, 2009-present
Honors and Awards
- Leading Lawyers Advisory Board Member, Peer Selected 2019
- DuPage County Bar Association Board of Directors Award, 2000
- Illinois Super Lawyers, 2007-present;
- Illinois Leading Lawyers
Past Employment Positions
- DuPage County State’s Attorney’s Office, 1973-1977
- Mirabella & Kincaid, P.C., 1977-2001
- Beck, Houlihan & Scott, P.C., 2001-2010