Desmond is a Partner at Momkus LLP who offers clients a wealth of experience in a variety of matters, especially involving construction, insurance, real estate and employment-related matters. Desmond's experience includes a number of high-profile cases such as the Waste Management v. ISLIC case (environmental impairment coverage action); the Buckley, Cruz, Hernandez v. Count of DuPage case (consolidated civil actions stemming from the Jeanine Nicarico murder investigation); the Comdisco v St. Paul Fire and Marine Ins. Co. (coverage litigation stemming from the IBM-Comdisco lawsuits) and the People of the State of Illinois ex. rel. Shapo v. Gallant Insurance Company and Valor Insurance Company case (insurance company liquidation case).
- Favorably settled an environmental cost recovery action and multiple insurance claims for a gas station owner client.
- Represented a small, rapidly growing armored car company in what ultimately became a nationwide licensing effort.
- Obtained summary judgment and affirmance on appeal in a tort case representing the mother of a convicted defendant.
- Favorably settled significant construction defects and insurance coverage claims involving a contractor defendant.
- Successfully took over for another attorney at the 11th hour and completed the on-time sale of a 25-unit apartment building.
- Obtained an early settlement of a cargo insurance claim on behalf of the claimant for almost double the principal amount of the claim.
- Obtained a settlements in a foreclosure case that allowed debtor clients to keep their house and obtain a significant reduction in the bank’s claim as well.
- Obtained dismissal of client from insurance coverage case arising from Chicago Post Office collapse.
- Took key depositions leading to summary judgment rulings in a major insurance coverage case.
- Obtained favorable settlement for client in multi-party construction defects and insurance coverage cases.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois 1993
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana 1999
- Illinois 1992
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- DuPage Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- University of Notre Dame, 1989
- Notre Dame Law School, 1992