DuPage County Complex Divorce Lawyers
Experienced Attorneys Handling Complex Divorces in Lisle and Throughout Illinois
Going through a divorce takes an emotional toll on everyone involved. However, when there are significant assets at stake, that may be hard to value, the level of anxiety increases. Divorces involving families with a high net worth are much more complicated. If you are about to go through a complex divorce in Illinois, you need experienced legal counsel in your corner fighting to protect your interests.
At Momkus LLC, our family law and divorce group has extensive experience with complex divorces involving large amounts of assets and other complicated issues. We understand that this is a difficult time for everyone involved. Our attorneys are compassionate, responsive and will aggressively advocate on your behalf to ensure that your rights are protected. We take the time with each client to understand the big picture and all the important issues that must be resolved. We also work closely with our business law, civil litigation and appellate practice groups to develop a comprehensive strategy that effectively accomplishes your goals.
Common Issues with Complex Divorces
With high net worth divorces, there are many issues around the division of property that may need to be decided. These include:
- Business Assets: In cases with family owned businesses in divorce, it is often difficult to determine the value or even if the business should be included as marital property.
- Hidden Assets: One spouse may be hiding certain assets or income streams, requiring a thorough investigation to uncover them.
- Real Estate Property: Valuing residential and commercial real estate holdings and determining which holdings are marital and which are non-marital property is another challenge that requires the help of skilled counsel.
- Retirement Accounts: IRAs, 401Ks and other retirement accounts must be analyzed to determine the source of their funding.
- Other Difficult to Value Assets: Property such as stock options, classic automobiles and art collections must also be analyzed.
- Restricted Asset Transfers: Spouses cannot transfer assets to a third party without the approval of the other spouse either before or after filing a petition for divorce. Our investigators work hard to uncover any unauthorized asset transfers.
- Marital Agreements: A thorough review of any prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement must be conducted.
- Divorce Tax Consequences: An analysis of how the divorce will impact the tax liability of the estate must also be conducted.
On top of the complexities involved in a high net worth divorce, other common issues must be resolved, such as:
Our attorneys have many years of experience litigating these issues at every level of the Illinois judicial system. We can help simplify your complex divorce and ensure that all the facts are on the table so there is a fair and equitable agreement that protects your interests.
If you are facing a divorce involving several complex and contentious issues, contact Momkus LLC today at 630-434-0400 for a consultation with one of our experienced family law attorneys. We provide advice and counsel from our team of skilled and compassionate complex divorce attorneys in Lisle, Chicago, Kane County, Will County, Lake County, McHenry County, Kendall County, DeKalb County and throughout Illinois.